A case is an intermediary that relates Insurance and Date of Service (DOS). It is mandatory to switch the case when
1. there is a change in the existing insurance, or
2. it is required to submit a claim for a DOS to another insurance. The following steps explain the process of case switch.
1. Invoke Patient Menu to enable the patient search (see Image 1).
2. Select a Patient from the search result to go to the patient demographic page.
3. Click on the case button (highlighted in Image 2) from the patient demographics page.
4. When the Case button is invoked, the Case window appears where existing case information can be found. Refer to Image 3.
5. Case Switching allows you to switch Date of Service (DOS) between cases. Hence, it needs to identify the case to which the DOS should be switched.
6. Click on the required case and invoke the Case Switch tab to view the DOSs and all pertaining info regarding the DOS(see Image 4). Select all the DOSs that need to be switched by using the checkbox provided.
7. Once the required DOSs are selected, click on the Switch To drop-down. The drop-down would list all possible cases for switching along with Case Type, Fee Schedule, Primary, Secondary, Tertiary insurance names and effective dates, Case Number and Case Name.
8. Select the target case from the drop-down and click on the Switch Case button (see Image 5) to switch the case. Upon completion, click on the Save button to save the changes.
9. After saving the changes, you can find the switched DOS under the target case.
- System will allow even paid encounters to be switched if the insurance/policy # and insurance level in the original Case match that of the target Case.
- When switching an encounter from insurance to cash case, system will change all lines in the encounter to BILL_TO_PT status.