This article explains
A. How to add a new insurance company
B. How to edit insurance company information, and
C. How to merge Two or more insurance company records into one.
Insurance Search Screen
Select Setup from the main menu and click on Insurance/Plan. A window to search insurance opens up where existing insurances can be searched.
Add a new Insurance Company
There are two ways to add insurance company information.
A. Click on button. From the Search Claim Payers screen, select a Claims Receiver from the dropdown; Claim receiver is a mandatory field. Click on search. This opens the repository of insurance companies; see Image 2. Select the checkbox corresponding to the insurances to be added to the practice. This way the insurance companies get added to the practice in one go.
Table 1 displays some of the important fields in the Insurance Information screen, also called the Insurance master.
|Name||Insurance company Name|
|Payer ID||Payer IDs are provided by the clearinghouse|
|Payer Type||Select the appropriate type from the drop-down. The default value is Commercial Insurance Co|
|End Date Effective||End Date is provided in case when the insurance info is no longer to be used.|
|Contact Information||Enter Address, Zip code, City, State, Country, etc.|
|Submission Method||Select Clearing House, Primary, and Secondary Billing Method (EDI/Paper) for the insurance|
|Additional Information||This includes Eligibility Payer ID, Claim Type, Response Limit Threshold, etc.|
3. Click on Save after entering all the required details. A Default plan is created automatically upon saving New Insurance.
Note: The plans should be linked with Patient Insurance while adding insurance to the patient demographic page.
Editing Insurance Company Information
1. To search for an insurance company, type in the full/partial name and click on search. You can also search for an insurance company by the payer ID. A list of insurances matching the search criteria will be displayed; see Image 6.
2. Check the box ‘Include Inactive’ to include end dated insurance in the search result.
Merge Insurance Companies
1. A screen as in Image 7 opens up. Check the box under Master column for the single insurance which is the master insurance under which all others will be merged.
2. Check the boxes under Duplicate column for all insurances to be merged to the master.
4. On successful merge, all duplicate insurances will be end-dated.