This article explains
A. How to add a new insurance company
B. How to edit insurance company information, and
C. How to merge Two or more insurance company records into one.
Insurance Search Screen
Select Setup from the main menu and click on Insurance/Plan. A window to search insurance opens up where existing insurances can be searched.
1. Insurance search screen has a Merge icon (Highlighted in Image 1) to merge duplicate companies into one.
2. The search screen also has an icon to export the master records to an excel file. This file also provides info on the creation date of the insurances.
Add a new Insurance Company
There are two ways to add insurance company information.
A. Click on button. From the Search Claim Payers screen, select a Claims Receiver from the dropdown; Claim receiver is a mandatory field. Click on search. This opens the repository of insurance companies; see Image 2. Select the checkbox corresponding to the insurances to be added to the practice. This way the insurance companies get added to the practice in one go.
B. The other way is to click on button A new window will open up for entering new insurance details.
Table 1 displays some of the important fields in the Insurance Information screen, also called the Insurance master.
|Name||Insurance company Name|
|Payer ID||Payer IDs are provided by the clearinghouse|
|Payer Type||Select the appropriate type from the drop-down. The default value is Commercial Insurance Co|
|End Date Effective||End Date is provided in case when the insurance info is no longer to be used.|
|Contact Information||Enter Address, Zip code, City, State, Country, etc.|
|Submission Method||Select Clearing House, Primary, and Secondary Billing Method (EDI/Paper) for the insurance|
|Additional Information||This includes Eligibility Payer ID, Claim Type, Response Limit Threshold, A/R Method, etc. A/R method drop-down values are Attorney, Auto Claims, Calling, PS Claims, VOB, Web, and Workers Comp.|
3. Click on Save after entering all the required details. A Default plan is created automatically upon saving New Insurance.
3a. If the default plan needs to be edited, Click on the icon.
3b. To add a new plan click on button. Once the details are entered, click on button to save the plan; see Image 4a.
Note: The plans should be linked with Patient Insurance while adding insurance to the patient demographic page.
Editing Insurance Company Information
1. To search for an insurance company, type in the full/partial name and click on search. You can also search for an insurance company by the payer ID. A list of insurances matching the search criteria will be displayed; see Image 6.
2. Check the box ‘Include Inactive’ to include end dated insurance in the search result.
3. Click on the button (highlighted in Image 6) to open the Insurance Information. Perform the necessary edits and click on .
Merge Insurance Companies
Two or more insurance Companies can be merged into one master insurance. Click on the merge icon in the Insurance company search screen.
1. A screen as in Image 7 opens up. Check the box under Master column for the single insurance which is the master insurance under which all others will be merged.
2. Check the boxes under Duplicate column for all insurances to be merged to the master.
4. On successful merge, all duplicate insurances will be end-dated.