How to Write a Controlled Prescription?
Only a prescriber who has completed the EPCS registration process will be able to transmit a controlled medication through PracticeSuite. It’s one hour one time set up with DEA Compliant Two-Factor Authentication & ID Proofing.
A user that is NOT EPCS certified is able to prepare the Rx and leave it pending for the EPCS certified prescriber, however the EPCS certified prescriber must be logged in to transmit a controlled Rx.
The prescription can be done from notes for visits and from the face sheet for non-visits/refills.
For Visits, Click on ‘Prescription’ within encounter notes to redirect to Newcrop Portal.
For non-visits/refills, Click on the Rx icon from the face sheet to redirect to Newcrop Portal.
1. From the Compose Rx tab, enter then name of the controlled substance in the search field and click the Drug Search button or press Enter on the keyboard. Search results display below.
2. Click the desired formulation to open the Sig Builder.
3. Fill in Sig Directions and Dispense Information, then click button. If you are transmitting more than one prescription, click the drop-down caret on the button and select Queue Rx.
4. Enter your EPCS PIN and click the Enter PIN button in the Transmit Rx window.
5. Use your OTP device (Hardware Token or Authy Application) to enter the Passcode for two-factor authentication. This can be entered manually or by Push Notification. Click the Send Push Notification button to use a Push Notification, or enter the Passcode manually and click the Sign & Transmit Rx button.
6. A receipt displays indicating the prescription was successfully transmitted to the pharmacy.