In the case of patient payments, either COPAY payments or SELFPAY payments made on the patient’s behalf are to be posted to the relevant charges. This article explains how patient payments are to be searched and posted.
1. Select Payments from the main menu and click on Manual Posting.
2. Create a new payment by providing payment information and generate the payment number or search for a payment using appropriate search parameters.
3. In the case of patient payments, Patient field gets automatically populated. You may use the claim# or the DOS From and To field to narrow down the search.
3a. Auto Populate Paid Amount checkbox populates the paid amount in each line according to the remaining amount in the line.
3b. Show Closed Lines is used to display the lines already closed by WO_CLOSE or PAID_CLOSE.
The relevant encounter lines are displayed. In the case of COPAY, all lines for COPAY payment are listed for posting. In the case of SELFPAY, all BILL_TO_PT lines are displayed. Also, all lines in the IN_COLLECTION status are highlighted in peach color.
4. Enter the Co-pay Amt. and the Adjustments in the corresponding fields and then select Next Action (next responsible party in case any balance amount exists). If a balance remains, choose the “Next Action” to leave the balance to the Patient (Bill to PT) or close the line by adjusting off the remaining balance. If the balance is zero, the system sets the status to PAID_CLOSE.
The following are the important columns in the Encounter Lines for Insurance payments.
|Code||The charges will be listed against each line with the codes.|
|Claim#||The claim number against which the line has been billed.|
|Charge||This is the original billed charge.|
|Rem||This displays the Remaining charge for the line.|
|Co-pay Amt.||Enter the Co-pay Amount in this box.|
|Adj||Enter the Adjustment amount here (optional)|
|Reason||If Adj. amt. is entered, the reason is mandatory.|
|With Hold||Enter the amount to be withheld if any here.|
|Balance||The Balance is automatically calculated and displayed here.|
|Next Action||The Next Action box indicates the action that has to be taken on a particular line. The Next Action for each line has to be selected before clicking the Post button. The explanation for the Next Action abbreviations is given below.
WO_CLOSE :- WRITE OFF CLOSE (When Rem. Amt.-Copay Amt. -Adj. is zero)
PAID_CLOSE :- PAID CLOSE (When Rem. Amt.-Copay Amt. is zero)
BILL_TO_PT :- BILL TO PATIENT
BILL_TO_GR :- BILL TO GUARANTOR
|Reverse||The Reverse option allows you to take back any amount that has been wrongly posted against a line.|
|Notes||To enter any notes, click on the Notes icon.|
6. When the payment is posted, it can be verified in the Posting Log, as in Image 2. The Posting Log shows the patients and the DOS’s for which the payment was posted. The image shows a fully applied payment. For FULLY_APPLIED payments, on-account Amt will be zero on posting.
Line sub status indicates whether the charge is in pre-collection, collection, installment, etc. You can also enter remarks that will appear in the Patient Statement in the Remark To Pat. Stmt field; see Image 3.
Line activity shows all the activities performed so far on the selected line (refer to Image 4).